I Am a Wookiee by Geof Smith

I Am a Wookiee written by Geof Smith, illustrated by Victoria Ying
     I love all of the "I Am a" books!! They are super informative, but in an easy-to-take-in, kid-friendly sort of way. This one in particular was a cute romp through Chewie's life, even including a moment from the train heist in Solo! I wish we'd gotten a little bit more from some of the other Wookiees, but we do at least get an image of Tarfful helping Chewie with Yoda's escape from Kashyyyk in Revenge of the Sith. Besides that, it's pretty much all Chewie with a couple of images of other Wookiees at the very beginning. This book really could have been titled, "I am Chewbacca." But that's okay because the whole book was quite adorable and I fell in love with the way the story was told both through words and illustrations.
     To get a sense of what the book is like, the first page contains the following words, "I am a Wookiee. I am big and furry." Unlike the Golden Books that retell the actual movies, these Golden Books are meant for a much younger age group. And with that audience in mind, they are perfect. My favorite page was the one shown below--such a sweet and poignant moment from Empire Strikes Back.
     Not much more to say on this one--I've already written more words in this review than there are in the book. Overall, I definitely recommend this one for anyone really...it's just simply adorable. But, if you're hoping for something that digs into Wookiees as a whole, this book is not for you. For any Chewie fans out there, this is a must have!

Comments

Popular Posts