The Clone Wars (Screen Comix): Season 7: Volume 1

The Clone Wars (Screen Comix): Season 7: Volume 1

Well, I've been so pleasantly surprised by the adaptations that I've been reading recently that I was super amped up for this one--I mean, I absolutely ADORE "The Clone Wars" TV series and the Bad Batch makes me smile with abandon (especially Wrecker). But I have to be perfectly honest here and admit that this Screen Comix adaptation was a bit of a let down. The Empire Strikes Back Screen Comix adaptation was freaking brilliant!! The lettering was on point with the onomatopoeias and the angles of each panel were just perfect. 

But this adaptation lacked many onomatopoeias--the BOOMs and VRROHWWs and KZZAKS were few and far between, leaving an intensely dark color palette without much additional bang for your buck. I'm not kidding...it was DARK, like difficult to tell what in the heck was going on dark (see an example below). I do not remember the episodes being that unreadable. In fact, I took a number of pictures for my reviews of these episodes that were filled with brilliant color...so why this book couldn't capture those same moments (when it was supposedly showing every moment), I really don't know. 

For reference, this volume included the episodes from "The Bad Batch" through "Deal No Deal" so it included the entirety of the Bad Batch arc and half of the Martez sisters/Ahsoka arc.


There were a handful of pretty solid panels with nice colors such as:



And then there were of course moments I very much so enjoyed reliving:



And it was definitely interesting getting to see how the Poletecs spell out their language!


Trivia that I didn't catch the first time around watching the episodes: The Bad Batch had just come back from "putting down an insurrection on Yalbec Prime" when they were called in to Anaxes. Wrecker had cut off the queen's stinger while she was still alive and all the males therefore tried to mate with the Bad Batch clones. Haha!! Also, the stinger of a Yalbec queen is a delicacy on some planets...morbid much. 

So, all in all, not really worth the buy. I really hate when I have to make that sort of judgement but it just can't be helped in this case. The dark colors just washed out everything, making it extremely difficult to follow and the lack of fun sound-effect lettering was definitely a miss. *sigh*

In upcoming news, I'm probably going to skip Wed's review as Light of the Jedi comes out tomorrow and I want to get my review of that book out as soon as possible!!! So I'll be spending my time focusing on reading through that novel and I am definitely pumped!!

Comments

Popular Posts