Darth Vader comic #11: The Rule of Five, Part I by Charles Soule

"Darth Vader #11: The Rule of Five, Part I" written by Charles Soule, illustrated by Giuseppe Camuncoli, Daniele Orlandini, and David Curiel
     This was an interesting issue. It felt a bit like an odd side story but I'm sure it's leading us somewhere. I really liked the Jocasta Nu storyline so I was sad to see it play out its course. I guess I just need to get my feet wet in the new arc and open myself up to the new storyline.
     The cover is actually a perfect depiction of Vader amidst the cantina where a trap is sprung. So that's refreshing.
     The trap was set for Vader on Cabarria (a planet in the Colonies Region) where three bounty hunters try to take him--he has a very steep price on his head. His lightsaber is demolished in the encounter (split apart by the pull from both Vader himself and a tractor rifle) which is awesome because now we know how he ended up with the saber we all know and love! His kyber crystal falls right out of the hilt as it crumbles into pieces. Vader at first blames Ninth Sister (see her pictured below--love that they have a very masculine looking species as a woman!) for the trap but she swears it wasn't her...although she leaves you wondering with her ignoring Vader's com call for backup. In a training session Vader had taken out her eye so I wouldn't put it past her to send people after him.
     But then when Vader catches up with the escaping bounty hunters, the mother (it's a father, daughter, mother trio) slices through the Hunter Net to discover who set up the job. It appears that it may have come from the Emperor himself!
     I'm definitely intrigued with where this one is going next and am excited to read the next issue! I mean who would be dumb enough to put a price on the head of the most powerful (not including the Emperor himself) person in the galaxy? Oh, and side note, the next issue pictures Vader with the lightsaber hilt we are all familiar with...I really hope they show him making it!

Comments

Popular Posts