Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Studio Fun International) by Ryder Windham

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (Studio Fun International) written by Ryder Windham, illustrated by Brian Rood
     Return of the Jedi is my favorite of the OT movies and so this book was a much anticipated journey back through this wonderful film. While I feel like some things got a bit garbled in the brevity, (although again this book took about 25 minutes to read) all the main story beats were there and the art was still simply phenomenal!
     Let me give some examples of what was given screen time and what was not. Oddly enough, there's a whole page dedicated to the Max Rebo Band and Oola's demise (see below), as well as three paragraphs covering the speeder bike chase on Endor, but Yoda's dying words, "There is another Skywalker" are left out. I guess if you really think about it, this is just a lesson in what different people find important within the story. What I find absolutely necessary may not be what another persons finds absolutely necessary simply because we may approach the movie in different ways due to our backgrounds and interests. Yeah, that's how I'll try and look at it!! It's probably the healthiest outlook anyway...

     I have to say that my favorite part involves...you guessed it! Dear old Anakin, "Darth Vader continued to stand and watch as his son's screams echoed across the throne room. Then something changed. Despite all the terrible, unspeakable things he'd done in his life, he realized he could not allow the Emperor to kill his son." See a magical image of the Emperor falling down the reactor shaft below.

     My favorite artwork was that of the Ewoks, of course I adore the little murder furballs to begin with, but they really were beautifully depicted. Check out two images below to see what I mean.


     You can check out my reviews of the A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back books in this series at the provided links. All three were very engagingly drawn and colored and the writing was quite enjoyable as well, such that these are definitely potential bedtime favorites for your little ones! You might have to break the books in half so as not to keep a sleepy eyed kid from snoozing on you. But regardless, these are a great resource to keep on hand!

Comments

Popular Posts