"The High Republic Adventures #12: Let Go" by Daniel Jose Older

"The High Republic Adventures #12: Let Go" written by Daniel Jose Older, illustrated by Harvey Tolibao, Pow Rodrix, and Rebecca Nalty

This issue was SO good!!! Lots of intriguing character development, which for me is an indicator of a wonderfully well-fleshed out story. But there's also action, romance *giddy squeals*, and a great deal of plot. Daniel Jose Older is absolutely killing it with this "all-ages" series!! If I were to say what my favorite on-going Star Wars comic series is, I tend to say "Bounty Hunters" because I immediately think adult comics only, but "The High Republic Adventures" is top notch, at least equaling if not rising above "Bounty Hunters" for me. If you want to get into the High Republic and don't know where to start, I highly recommend this series. It's the perfect jumping on point, still with all the goodies the rest of the High Republic content has to offer. On this blog, I've reviewed every single one of these so far, so check those out if you're still skeptical.

I am nervous though about the transition from IDW to Dark Horse... Will Older keep the same characters? Will he be forced to start a brand new story? I've grown to love these characters, good and bad, and really want to continue on their journey. I get so confused with all the news that I can barely keep track of what's happening, much less keep track of the specific details, such as what exactly they're even doing with Dark Horse. I know about the collection of Rebels' comic strips which I could not be more excited for!!! Those suckers are very difficult to find. But I'm very unsure as to how exactly this series will look even format wise going forward. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

First, we get a flashback to Lula's younger years on the planet Endovar where Master Kantam (It's just now hitting me that Kantam is non-binary!! Look for an eventual Aphra's Artifacts on them!!) says the hardest lesson for a Jedi to learn is, "We must learn to love and let go at the same time." No doubt about that being a toughie!! And that theme is what this issue is all about. I adore the way this theme was handled with the thought bubbles and the series of events that took place. It didn't knock you over the head with it or barely touch on it, it was, dare I say, balanced. Before all this though, when Kantam first asks Lula what the hardest lesson is, she says, "Front flips with a lightsaber?" in a super excited joy. To which, funnily enough, Kantam says, "Okay, maybe it's the second hardest then." And Yoda being ridiculous Yoda says, "Nothing simple, the front flip is." Heehee, that dude always makes me laugh.

OMfreakingG, Lula and Zeen are totally in love and I am SO here for it!! There will most definitely be an Aphra's Artifacts on this lesbian attraction *heart*. So, Lula gets tasked by Master Kantam to "join Master Torban and take leadership of the task force to find Krix" and Lula's in-her-head response is, "I've worked my whole life for this. But all I can think about...is my best friend Zeen." Then we get Zeen's side of things with, "all she's ever wanted...to spend her life being the greatest Jedi ever. But all I can think about is how that life won't have any room for me in it." Oh my goodness...I want these girls to defect from the Jedi Order (I mean Zeen's already being left out in the cold despite her Force powers) and run away together and have a normal life. But we all know they're too noble for that...from my point of view it's nobility to a fault. But hey, I haven't been gifted a supernatural power to manipulate stuff with my mind. But later in the issue, Lula makes a point in her thoughts that all of us could do better with, "If we hold too tight, everything falls apart. But we can't wall off our hearts from the world or pretend we don't have feelings either." Really...it's all...a balance...

Then we see Padawan Bibs who's patrolling somewhere in a Vector and the person at command tells him that the distress signal they heard is coming from the nearby planet of Dol'har Hyde (see below--remember this spooky ship wreck filled forest planet from the 2020 "Doctor Aphra" on-going series where the titular character and her ex hunt the wreckage to find a Nihil path engine). Turns out, Krix's Nihil base just so happens to be on Dol'har Hyde...I have a feeling it was Sabata (the woman who secretly betrayed Krix on Corellia) as she's already flown the coop by the time the Jedi arrive. Fast forward to Krix being in a very unenviable position and the Jedi continually telling themselves and being told to take the Nihil in alive...). Another hard lesson they may face, indeed--how to be kind and forgiving to people who are deeply and truly evil. See Krix in his Nihil garb and Marchion Ro's old helmet below--looks so different from those first pages of the series.



I only have one complaint. Nihil ships are always described as being patchwork with multiple different ship styles all Frankensteined together. But this issue showed a whole swarm of Nihil ships that all looked exactly the same (see below). I'm confused...


I will now leave you with the most epic of spreads!! How the artists were able to combine so much, but still make it look really good, is beyond me.



Comments

Popular Posts