"Doctor Aphra #17: Evocations" by Alyssa Wong

"Doctor Aphra #17: Evocations" written by Alyssa Wong, illustrated by Minkyu Jung and Rachelle Rosenberg

This issue was just plain fun!! We meet an off-their-rocker non-binary character who has some sort of history with Aphra but just what that history is is never specified (I can't wait to be acquainted with them enough to do an Aphra's Artifacts video on the character!!). We learn that Lady Domina Tagge is, at least seemingly, perfectly fine with Ronen not being dead after all. It's actually quite a simple issue but it was put together in a very compelling way that had me super engaged throughout.

First, there's the reveal of a healed Ronen Tagge (last issue we saw him floating in a bacta tank). He's got weird brown splotches all over his body (see below) which is probably a result of him being blown up...or maybe a side effect of the Rings of Vaale? I'm curious if they'll ever address this new appearance of his. Ronen is cocksure as can be, having survived what should have been his utter demise, and even insinuates that he should be taking over the Tagge Corporation eventually...since Domina has no heir. But hooboy is she not okay with this. She's not okay with ANY insinuation that the Tagge Corporation will function at all without her running it. "It lives and dies with me." Dang, lady, take a chill pill! I still love the woman though, she's so fierce, strong, determined, and confident...I could take some lessons from her for sure!


Then the best part of this issue starts as we get the introduction of Kho Phon Farrus (see below), the non-binary disaster!! It wasn't Tase Somer, the Coruscant Museum's head curator, in the dark robes, melting out of the shadows after all. It was instead an old acquaintance of Aphra's who just may be a little cuckoo. We know Kho is non-binary because of the use of they/them/their pronouns, but it's very strange how Sana has no idea who this person is until Aphra introduces Kho to her, and yet immediately uses they pronouns without Aphra doing so first...how could she possibly know?? I found that this took me out of the story a bit, but that's okay because everything else was just stellar! Kho is after Ascendant artifacts, such as the Thought Dowser that incinerated Aphra's electro-tatoos. The object that came out of their sleeve was not a lightsaber, but was The Whip of Sorrows (see below), a scary and dangerous looking object that can both absorb and release energy. Apparently Kho has something seriously devious up their sleeve, "I've made a discovery about the Ascendant that will change everything. All I need is a little more time, a little more blood...and a few more pieces of Ascendant tech. Once I have those, not even death will be able to stop me." I cannot wait to find out what this is all about!!



We also learn that Kho is working for Crimson Dawn!! ...but of course, isn't everybody these days?? This is revealed when they accept a transmission from The Archivist (mentioned and pictured in my review of "Crimson Reign #1"). 

So, an absolutely fabulous issue with a new character I know we are going to see again...and boy can I not wait to see what they are up to!! I'll leave you with a picture of Kho that is just spooky and creepy as all get out!!


-Marie E. Wilson a.k.a. @AliaMorgaine

Comments

Popular Posts