Solo: A Star Wars Story comic #5 by Robbie Thompson

"Solo: A Star Wars Story #5" written by Robbie Thompson, illustrated by Will Sliney and Federico Blee
     This issue left so much to be desired!! Only a couple of extra parts that were quite inconsequential and most of the really good parts just weren't done justice. I was left super disappointed but am still holding out hope for the next couple of issues to be awesome! I mean we do have the Enfys Nest reveal in the next issue and possibly the novelization's epilogue in the final one??? Fingers crossed!
     The first extra bit was after Lando tells Qi'ra to stop putting out the fire with his custom cape. Her reply - "It's lovely. And very good at putting out a fire." Pretty lackluster but a new line nonetheless.
     The second extra bit was when the Falcon gets electrocuted and everyone's hair stands on end. The panel for this was priceless! See below. Lando's hair doesn't react and he makes a note of how everyone else looks super silly. This was a fun inclusion but even then I feel like they could have done more with it.

     Another great image was Lando's face once L3 started interfacing with the Falcon. You can see the tears in his eyes and the emotion on his face as his partner in crime becomes one with his ship. There's even a slight sad smile. It's heartbreaking to say the least. See below.
     And the last image I want to mention is the panel where the drop of coaxium in the fusion reactor causes the Falcon to stall out then shoot to super high speeds. These panels were done very well and really gave a great image of the action in the scene! See below.
     Something else that this issue got me thinking about was all the technical jargon used and how everyone seems to understand all these crazily technical words: bi-lats, mod-calibrator, t-line, fusion reactor vs. fuel line. How in the world do they all know what each other's talking about??? It's like they've all completed some sort of technical training that we don't know about. I get I should suspend my disbelief and just accept it but I find it so weird.
     There isn't enough time spent with the summa-verminoth. I wasn't left feeling any sort of fear or attachment to the creature. It just felt like it was sort of there unfortunately. So much could have been done with her scene!!
     Also, this issue really got me thinking for some reason on how the writers come up with what letters to string together for Chewie's Shyriiwook… They all seem so random and I really can't imagine them verbally so I just kinda skip over them with a general gestalt for how he's speaking. I really hope that doesn't make me a bad fan.
     Huh...so I surprisingly had a LOT to say about an issue that really didn't offer much from what is in the movie. Maybe it wasn't so disappointing after all... Looking forward to Enfys' reveal next issue!!!

Comments

Popular Posts