Star Wars: Resistance - Episode 17 - "The Core Problem"

Star Wars: Resistance - Episode 17 - "The Core Problem" written by Kevin Burke and Chris Wyatt, directed by Saul Ruiz
     Hmmm...I enjoyed this episode but it left me with MANY more questions than answers. Poe had some of the best lines in the episode and it's obvious Force Awakens is coming up very very soon because he switches out BB-8 for CB-23 and says he's headed to Jakku!! I am SO excited for where this is going!! I cannot wait for the crossover to begin and it looks like next episode may be the crossover point!!! ...if not the episode after that...they might drag it out a bit.
     Synopsis: Poe manages to sneak onto the Colossus and finally gets a report from Kaz. The First Order has been jamming all transmissions such that Kaz hasn't been able to tell Poe about his latest findings--that the First Order is wanting to use the Colossus as a fueling depot for its fleet! And in a two-birds-with-one-stone attitude, keep the platform out of the hands of the Resistance. Well, Kaz shows Poe the data he confiscated from the shuttle he embarked when pretending to be a storm trooper and they notice a point of interest in the map so Kaz and Poe fly off to investigate.
     They run into some physics that I definitely do not understand. There are multiple planetoids with their cores removed and one in particular that is quite neatly cored out. Poe and Kaz fly into it only to be affected by a gravity well type projection...but we never see the gravity well. I don't know if this was a mechanical/electrical thing or a natural phenomenon. It was all very confusing for me. The other thing I don't get is why were the planetoids cored?? Perhaps it was an old test from years before when the First Order was trying to figure out how Starkiller Base would work??? The one hint is that the star of the system is no more and we know that Starkiller devours stars to fuel its super weapon. So maybe they attempted to build Starkiller in this system but it didn't work, so they ended up building it else where, and figured they'd already destroyed the planetoids in the system, so why not go back and test out the super weapon's power on what remained? But then they're not obliterated so that doesn't make sense. I thought Starkiller Base traveled through hyperspace to different systems where it sucked up that system's sun's energy and then obliterated the system's planets. Maybe I'm understanding it wrong. I've read the physics in several different places but can still never quite work it out. Maybe all the First Order did was steal the sun's energy from this system and store it up? But in Force Awakens, the super weapon fires AS SOON AS the star is depleted of its energy. So that doesn't make sense because Hux hasn't made his speech yet. But maybe it takes multiple stars to charge Starkiller's superweapon?? I really don't know. Needless to say, I'm just super confused here.
     Great lines!!!:
"Just don't vaporize your foot." - Poe to Kaz when he gives the spy a blaster.
"Kids! It's got kids!" - Poe in response to a probe droid they come across opening up and producing more baby probe droids!
"Kaz! Where did you come from? And I mean just now...not biologically." - Neeku to Kaz after the spy returns from his mission with Poe. I love Neeku!!
     I wanted to mention this really quick as well: After the probe droid attacks, BB-8 attaches his cables to the ground and the droid. Kaz attempts to shoot the probe but ends up shooting BB-8 half the time. It isn't until he trips that he actually strikes the probe dead center in its eye--I LOVE how Jar Jar this is of him!!! He had to mess up to do something right! I thought this was super cute *smile*.
     As for the photos I've included, the top one is a beautiful still from the very end of the episode of TIEs flying through the night sky above the Colossus. The picture just above is a really cool shot of BB-8 and CB-23 exchanging places between Kaz and Poe mid-flight! I didn't even consider that droids could do that--it was a pretty darn cool image!!
     So all in all, a good episode. But I'm just left super confused and with so many questions that I feel like I really need the answers to. What in the world is going on?!? And will we ever find out!?! Hopefully some of this will be explained in the upcoming episodes. But they'll probably just shoot straight to the crossover and forget any questions that were laid out in this episode. Oh well, a girl can dream...'till next time!!!

Comments

Popular Posts