Star Wars comic #62: The Scourging of Shu-Torun, Part I by Kieron Gillen

"Star Wars #62: The Scourging of Shu-Torun, Part I" written by Kieron Gillen, illustrated by Andrea Broccardo and Guru-eFX
     This issue left me with my jaw on the floor pretty much the entire time!...and my next door neighbors could probably hear me squealing with delight... I can't say enough about how thrilled I was at every step each panel took. One surprise after another led to a crazy satisfying comic book.
     So we start with Leia outlining her plan to attack Shu-Torun to Luke, Han, Chewie, 3PO, and R2. Leia hides her need for revenge underneath a veneer of "hurting Imperial production" which is true to an extent, but you know the princess is still hungry for revenge after the severe betrayal brought down on the Rebels by Queen Trios. Luke questions how safe it will be when "the whole system will come crashing down." A very good point! And Han's response? "Hey Princess, you haven't gone full Darth Vader on us, have you?" I love this! Leia's sounding pretty intense in this whole exchange and I think it's so telling that Luke and Han are worried about where her line of thinking is headed. She reassures them that the population will not be hurt but Shu-Torun will forever be damaged economically and thus too the Empire. Queen Trios better look out because Padme's daughter is about ready to show her some of the bada**ery she inherited from her mama.
     And...Tunga Arpagion is back!!! He's doing theatre like he said he would and it is wonderful. See below! He's playing the part of Luc Swordswinger in a retelling of the "Mutiny at Mon Cala" story arc!!! Han's pseudonym in the play is Ham Nogo!!! Hahaha...Han doesn't take too kindly to it when he finds out. And he finds out because our heroes come to co-opt Tunga into working for them again just as Imperials burst into the performance intending to take the actors into custody for an "illegal performance of treasonous material." Once they escape, Tunga decides that there were "less credits in the rebel-hailing entertainment market" than he had hoped. I love how the gang has fully turned Tunga into a Rebel!! He's ready and willing to help the cause again. Then Chewie finds out he didn't even have a role in the play and is furious!! I seriously lol-ed at that reveal! The humor in this entire section of the issue is simply flawless.
     And then!!! And I totally called it the panel before...they're GOING BACK TO JEDHA!!!! Oh my goodness I'm over the moon!!! What called it for me was Leia saying, "Normal rebel troops won't be enough. We need people used to fighting on a hell world." I was at a loss for words at this reveal!
Leia goes to Benthic to recruit him to the Shu-Torun cause and Luke goes to the Cult of Central Isopter only to find it deserted. When Han tells Luke that of course they deserted...with Jedha being in the situation it's in, Luke's response is that they're a death cult and wouldn't care. I LOVE Han's response: "I hate to sound like your dad, kid, but what the hell are you doing hanging around with death cults?" Ha!! I'm not going to give anything away except to say the cult does show up later in the issue and it is SO good!!
     And then help comes to the Rebels from an unexpected and familiar source (big smile from me on this one)...and then!!!...you'll just have to read to find out.
     I can't say enough about how much this issue blew my ever-loving mind!!! My jaw is on the freaking floor. Kieron Gillen only has 5 more issues left in this series and I really hope he keeps amping it up like he did with this issue. It was just unbelievably good. I was super excited to check it out but was honestly expecting to simply enjoy it as part of the series, but instead I got a stand out issue that rocked my socks off. I cannot wait to see what Gillen has planned for us in #63!

Comments

Popular Posts