Darth Vader #1: Dark Heart of the Sith, Part I by Greg Pak

Darth Vader #1: "Dark Heart of the Sith, Part I" written by Greg Pak, illustrated by Raffaele Ienco and Neeraj Menon
     Oh...my...goodness!!! So many prequel callbacks that my heart is singing right now. This issue was absolutely beautiful! Vader is definitely struggling with the memories of his past as Anakin while at the same time desperately looking to destroy all those who hid Luke from him (and made the boy "weak"). A forensics droid follows the Sith Lord around (Z-67, see below), adding just a touch of humor to what is truly a heart-breaking story. I can't even begin to imagine how I'm going to feel in the next few issues because this one already had me by the heartstrings. I just love Ani so much and seeing him in pain over dear Padme (another character I wholeheartedly adore) cuts me to the core.
     As for the actual plotline of this issue, Vader says it himself best, "I will find him [Luke] again when the time is right. For now...we will track down everyone who hid the boy from me...everyone who made him weak...and destroy them." He heads to Tatooine with a few Death Troopers and the above-mentioned forensics droid. It's actually kind of funny with the Death Troopers because everything comes out garbled to people without helmets (at least we know they can communicate with each other and with Vader), but the officers around them don't have any clue what they're saying and are freaked out by the troopers (see below).

     There are so many emotionally and visually beautiful scenes, this issue quite literally took my breath away. For example, we see Vader envisioning Luke, then Shmi, then Padme, all falling away down the chasm in the middle of Cloud City (see his vision of Padme below). And then we learn that Padme's Senatorial Apartment has been sealed since her death with a stone likeness of herself (see below). Apparently someone has been messing with the security feeds and the time after Padme's death has been erased...

     I won't say much more except we soon after end up on Vendaxa with...is that Jar Jar?!? See below!! And another surprise showing us that something is indeed off. Also, there's a super cool modified U-wing ship containing pirates? that want to take advantage of a lone Imperial shuttle...little do they know Vader's at the helm...(see their ship below).

      I am beyond intrigued, beyond excited, and beyond ecstatic that the prequels are getting some love and we're seeing Vader struggling as Anakin now that he's realized his son survived childbirth. Ahhh!! That's how I feel about the next issue, so much goodness is to come!

Comments

Popular Posts