The Phantom Menace Graphic Novel Adaptation by Alessandro Ferrari

The Phantom Menace Graphic Novel Adaptation adapted by Alessandro Ferrari, character studies by Igor Chimisso

I so wanted to review this adaptation without having to point out the missing pieces. Well, unfortunately, some major pieces were missing and I can't not point them out... *sigh* But the art was fun as always and I still shed a couple tears at various points in the story so overall it was a win. Really I just think there are a couple of missed opportunities for great visual storytelling with this format which was a bummer. If you have a graphic novel layout, I would think that you take full advantage of that and amp up the visual aspect of the story. That makes sense, right?

What were the two missed opportunities visually? Just think about it for two seconds...yep, the pod race and the Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon fight. Especially the pod race! There's two indiscernible crashes to start, then suddenly Sebulba and Anakin are neck and neck, get hooked together, and Anakin wins. It ran a total of 2 pages. And maybe I'm basic, but dang I love the pod race so much!! The Sith/Jedi fight goes on for longer than the pod race, even while being split up as in the movie, but the force field bit isn't included and the gravity of the scene somehow just isn't there. So the second at least attempted to do the super visual moment justice, but it sadly fell flat, at least for me.

---

As for other eliminations: 

-"A communications disruption could mean only one thing...invasion." Come on!!! How could you leave out that gem?? 

-Qui-Gon and Watto rolling the chance cube over whether Shmi or Anakin would be freed. This misses out on a lot of Qui-Gon's character what with him secretly influencing the cube to free Ani. He truly feels that Anakin is to play a large role in the galaxy's future so he's only doing what he thinks is right...but it definitely borders on the fence of morality.

-The goodbye between Shmi and Anakin. I mean, really?!? This moment was the whole reason Anakin began feeling the coldness of the dark side!!

-Yoda pointing out that Qui-Gon does indeed presume to believe that Anakin is the chosen one of the prophecy. I love this moment showing how Yoda's like, I'm not letting any b.s. by me! And I love that it again shows Qui-Gon's defiance when he believes something deeply.

-The conversation between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon as Anakin walks in front of them on their way to the ship to go back to Naboo. This conversation lays the ground work for the relationship we get to watch develop between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Obi-Wan talks to his master as if Anakin's nowhere around and basically straight up says that Anakin's dangerous and shouldn't be with the Jedi. He is so mean!! The beginnings of Obi-Wan's iffy parenting style...

---

Some great images:

-I love Kitster's self-assured confidence after Ani agrees with him that he's right and that Anakin will finish the race this time.


-Maul after being cut in half by Obi-Wan.


-A gnarly image of Sebulba...lmfao!


---

Trivia: Apparently as the Senator of Naboo, Palpatine actually represents THIRTY-SIX worlds!! How have I either never heard this before or forgotten that I knew this? 

---

And the book brings us to this quote on the last page:


Heck yes!!! Anakin is the chosen one!!! I will fight this to my freaking grave!

---

So a lot is missing but it still gets the point across and is a fun read. Also, the artwork is precious and definitely drew me in. Overall, I'm glad I experienced this graphic novel adaptation.

Comments

Popular Posts