Star Wars comic #71: Rebels and Rogues, Part IV: Knight at Last?! by Greg Pak

"Star Wars #71: Rebels and Rogues, Part IV: Knight at Last?!" written by Greg Pak, illustrated by Phil Noto
     This issue was fantastic!! These three stories are really ramping up and I feel like they are giving us so much action, intrigue, mystery, surprise, and everything anybody could want from a Star War!! I am beyond hooked. C-3PO makes an intriguing connection with the rock people, Leia goes all karate on Dar Champion, and Luke robs a bank...what more could you want?? I am so here for this.
     First off, we have C-3PO and Chewie on K43 which it appears is known by the sentient rock creatures as Kakra and their language is Kakran. C-3PO is brought to the Kakran elders for a discussion. The elders realize he is not rock and not flesh but by tapping him discover he is made of metal or ore! They call him "Cousin Ore" after that and I think that may be the most precious thing ever! See the panels below for the interchange. The main elder is able to tap into C-3PO's memories and it is so cool getting flashbacks from A New Hope!! Then...the rug gets pulled out from under everything... I literally said, "Oh my God..." aloud. Greg Pak managed to pull off in a very surprising way what might have been an obvious turn. So freaking cool!!

     Then we arrive on Lanz Carpo with Dar Champion stopping Han and Leia in their tracks. But Leia manages to kick some serious butt (see image below) and takes the man down. Dar then makes a comment implying that Han and Leia are a couple and they deny it with Dar saying it's a shame. The two are so confused but it's funny how Dar was able to see it from a mile away! Will he help them now that Leia has bested him?? Turns out a new and frankly more interesting plan might be in the works... One weird note about this section, Dar uses the term "Utapaun" to refer to a person from Utapau when they should be referred to as "Pau'an." Perhaps I'm being WAY too nerdy here. I just feel like it's not that difficult to get that one word correct...oh well.
     And finally it's on to Sergia where Luke and Warba are setting off to rob a "bank"...the Imperial Payroll Garrison to be exact! Warba's plan to locate the Imperial scouts is to bribe the sub-governor and to do that, they need money. As they are preparing to attack against impossible odds (8 gun turrets), Warba starts reciting, "I am one with the Force and the Force is with me." JEDHA!!!!! GUARDIANS OF THE WHILLS!!!! Stoked for the continued Rogue One references! She goes on to say, "I've seen priests with no Force abilities do impossible feats. Because they believed. And you've got more of the Force in you than anyone I've ever met." Ooooh...so freaking good. But then...well...things go down a path that I had hoped they wouldn't go down. Super frustrating. It's a little too Aphra for my taste (meaning I don't want anybody upstaging my favorite lesbian rogue archaeologist!). It's really too bad. Now I'm curious to see how this particular story ends up playing out and hope it's not a familiar tune.
     So there you have it! Three wonderful stories rolled into one fabulous issue. So much goodness here!! Side note: Not sure the title really works...what do you think? I guess the question mark in front of the exclamation point leaves some room for doubt. I don't know, I just think it's wishful thinking. Hmmm...

Comments

Popular Posts