Lando: Double or Nothing comic #5 by Rodney Barnes

"Lando: Double or Nothing #5" written by Rodney Barnes, illustrated by Paolo Villanelli and Andres Mossa
     This issue contained some true gems of dialogue! And we see the hero Lando come out a bit from behind the haughty exterior...though haughty Lando is of course never far behind. It's great to see him grow a little and take something seriously for once...at least in regards to a cause that actually means a damn.
     We see it begin here: "Is this that empathy thing I've been hearing about?" This is Lando's first step into the role of a character that cares about something besides himself and I love it. He's conflicted and seems scared of growing while at the same time wanting to grow.
     Rythus (Kristiss's father) really doesn't trust Lando...of course I certainly can't blame him. He says this little nugget in regards to the smuggler, "My daughter must have developed ears of steel to have traveled here with you." With some of the crap that Lando spat out at her, I don't doubt she did! I'm still surprised she's come this far with the man.
     "Yes, credits make the galaxy go round. But people give life meaning." Awww, who thought Lando could be such a softie?! See what I mean about him growing?!
     The only thing I didn't get in this issue was when at one point, Kristiss says, "In battle there is no fair." to which Lando replies, "No wonder I've avoided them." This makes zero sense to me since he is a straight up cheat at cards!! He doesn't play fair himself... Huh...
     Another gem: "Although our relationship is best actualized in a platonic dynamic, I'd hate to see you perish." Oh, L3. I really do like this droid. Her humor is so insanely dry, but I think she's fabulous.
     We see the reappearance of a Rogue One Imperial cargo shuttle! You know me and ANYTHING to do with Rogue One...
     Lando then ignorantly ponders, "I'm not the leader of a colony type." Ha! He keeps saying things (including his comment about mining colonies being the worst in Solo) that contradict his eventual future. Oh, Lando. You don't even know yourself all that well.
     My favorite panel from the whole 5 issue series is pictured below. I can just imagine Lando super sarcastically yelling the words, "I feel so safe right now!" as he's flying over the tops of all those vast numbers of stormtroopers. This may be one of those Star Wars lines I need to incorporate in my daily life. Too good.
     I absolutely LOVE that this comic brings us directly up to where we meet Lando in Solo. This next bit is spoilery so you might want to skip to the end. The Millennium Falcon gets repoed by the Empire and taken to Vandor for impoundment. Once Lando and L3 arrive on Vandor, Lando decides to play a couple of games of Sabacc with the credits he earned from freeing the Petrusians. And L3 is happy to oblige as they figure out how to get their ship back. It almost makes it seem like Lando needed to team up with someone to reacquire his ship...and that's why he's so quick to take up Qi'ra's offer in Solo. Interesting--this puts a whole 'nother spin on the movie. Love when they deepen actions in the films like this!
     Overall, a fun ending to an exciting short-run series. We see Lando change...okay, maybe only a little bit. And we see L3 at her finest. The Petrusians aren't so bad themselves. I have to say I do prefer the previous Lando short-run comic series, but this one was still worth the read.

Comments

Popular Posts