Age of Republic comic: Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Mission" by Jody Houser

Age of Republic: Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Mission" written by Jody Houser, illustrated by Cory Smith, Wilton Santos, Walden Wong, and Java Tartaglia
     I have to say this is the best one yet of the "Age of Republic" series. It contains a full story without any need for background details and shows growth in the main character. I was quite pleased. The only problem I have with it is that Anakin doesn't look all that much like Anakin. But I was able to suspend my belief and still have my heartstrings pulled at.
     This one-shot takes place after the Obi-Wan and Anakin short-run comic series and before Attack of the Clones. In the short-run series, Anakin makes it clear he is dubious about continuing as a Jedi. It was fascinating to see how this comic follows that up especially with the title "crawl" saying, "both Obi-Wan and Anakin are still adjusting to their roles as teacher and student..." It was executed with aplomb!
     We get a glimpse of a Zygerrian Jedi Master! Crazy since they're known slavers...it's really weird to see one of this species be a good guy... Her name is Master Tosan and she debriefs Obi-Wan on his and Anakin's mission for this issue. They are to go scout out an ancient Jedi holocron excavated on the planet Dallenor in the Mid Rim.
     Clatriffe--a Togruta--greets Obi-Wan and Anakin as they land, saying that she desperately wishes them to get the holocron off her hands so she no longer has to deal with pirates that have been coming her way. When the pirates arrive, as I expected they would, Obi-Wan's greeting is his classic catchphrase (see image below)!
     Hudso Shaku is the leader of the Krypder Riders. These guys may be avian, but they have some nasty teeth! And there appear to be several different avian species involved. Very interesting. (See below for a picture of a local Dallenorian--one hired as muscle against the pirates.)
     Obi-Wan says the sweetest thing to Anakin, "What you said earlier, about me being stuck with you as my apprentice? I suppose I felt that it was you who was stuck with me as your teacher." D'awww!!! And then Anakin says a few lines later, "Then we'll save each other. Isn't that what Master Qui-Gon would have wanted?" These two are so wonderful together...I'm not crying...You're crying!
     Trivia:
-Kenobi is from the planet of Stewjon, presumably named after Jon Stewart. Crazy!!
     So all-in-all, a bang up issue! Character growth, action, new species, and a new planet! No exciting canon connections but the story held up very well on its own. I am most pleased.

Comments

Popular Posts