Bounty Hunters #1: Galaxy's Deadliest, Part I: "Ghosts of Corellia" by Ethan Sacks

Bounty Hunters #1: Galaxy's Deadliest, Part I: "Ghosts of Corellia" written by Ethan Sacks, illustrated by Paolo Villanelli and Arif Prianto
     So, to be perfectly honest I had NO clue what was going on in this issue and needed to read the "title crawl" at the beginning of the second issue to get my bearings straight. This crap was confusing as hell! I couldn't figure out if Bossk, Boba Fett, and Valance were enemies, on the same team, or what! Turns out they were at least partially working together and were betrayed by the same person years ago on Corellia--Nakano Lash. She killed "the client" of a job who just so happened to be the only heir to the Mourner's Wail crime syndicate. I think, after re-reading and giving myself a couple of hours to let it all marinate, that the job was to infiltrate the Unbroken Clan's sanctuary, something that crime syndicate never expected since there was a truce in place...I think. Honestly, it's all so muddled I'd have to re-read it five times to get it parsed out fully. Luckily the second issue streamlines things a quite a bit.
     Anyway, we start on Corellia with the Unbroken Clan crime syndicate looking out from their sanctuary. Bossk appears, along with Boba Fett and Valance as they attempt to infiltrate said sanctuary (again, I think). All goes to hell pretty quickly and then things get really dire when the Nautolan Nakano Lash, I think the leader of Bossk, Boba Fett, and Valance's crew, kills the client. Then we fast forward to the "present" where we encounter Bossk, Boba Fett, and Valance all in turn in the midst of their respective bounty hunting lives. Valance is after some Devaronians, Boba Fett is flying along minding his own business, and Bossk has a run-in with none other than Doctor Aphra and Black Krrsantan (see below)!!!!! They all separately get the call that Lash has been sighted, and none of them even want the bounty, they just want her dead.
     Check out Boba Fett and Valance on Corellia in the "past" below!
     There are a whole host of new characters as well. I think I'm really going to like T'onga for one...especially since it appears she may be queer! See her pictured with her presumed lover below. Her brother was killed during the aforementioned botched job and she wants revenge! There's also Valance's droid who acts a lot like K-2SO and even looks very similar to the security droid except for having only one eye. I absolutely love the banter between him and Valance as well (see him pictured below).
     Also, we travel to a number of different planets/moons including Batuu, the moon of Logal Ri, and Burnin Konn!! I always love seeing familiar planets and seeing Burnin Konn again was a true joy (I used to be quite the cartel leader when I played the mobile MMORPG Star Wars: Uprising...).
     So a thoroughly confusing start to what looks to be a fantastic series. I really am looking forward to what comes next and can say that issue #2 did not disappoint one bit. These stories are fascinating and fun, I just wish what was going on was more clear...

Comments

Popular Posts