The Force Awakens Graphic Novel Adaptation

The Force Awakens: Graphic Novel Adaptation, adapted by Alessandro Ferrari, character studies by Igor Chimisso
     This graphic novel adaptation is not the trade paperback of the Force Awakens comic short-run series. It is its own adaptation with its own quirks. I quite enjoyed it.
     Apparently when Rey was in Maz's castle on Takodana, the sound of "a young girl in anguish" is what brought her down the stairs into the basement. I'll have to watch the movie again to catch that audio. Whenever I've watched the movie it always just sounds like random creepy noises.
     I'd forgotten that Supreme Leader Snoke told Hux (as Starkiller Base was being blown to bits) to bring Kylo Ren back to him to complete his training. ...doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of The Last Jedi where Snoke is telling Kylo he's weak and worthless. From Cobalt Squadron we know this negative interaction with Kylo takes place the same day or the day after, so I find it odd that Snoke would've changed his mind about Kylo so quickly.
     Another strange point is a panel showing very clearly that Kylo's lightsaber gets cut in half. Now I don't remember this from Force Awakens but I'm assuming if it's in this adaptation that it was in the movie. So that brings me to the timeline again...how could Kylo have repaired his lightsaber so quickly? Especially being hurt and on the move to D'Qar? No sense does this make.
     Besides these sticking points of continuity with The Last Jedi, I did very much enjoy the read. It was super quick and engaging and the facial expressions were all spot on. Leia's were the best! The artistry was very unique...cartoony but not in a childish way. I really liked it.
     The only other thing I would say is that a lot gets skipped over in this adaptation. For one, the rathtar scene...although I've never been a huge fan of the scene it felt odd to skip over it. Several other points in the story transitioned quite abruptly and obviously left out certain parts. They did do a pretty good job of displaying all the great quotes from the movie though...well...except my favorite one of all, "You probably didn't recognize me with my red arm!" Leaving that one out was sad.
     Overall, a decent and fun, quick read with fantastic visuals. And it's always nice to get a refresher on any Star Wars movie. Now they just need to do this with all the prequels and originals!

Comments

Popular Posts