Lando: Double or Nothing comic #2 by Rodney Barnes

"Lando: Double or Nothing #2" written by Rodney Barnes, illustrated by Paolo Villanelli and Andres Mossa
     Tons of crazy stuff happened in this issue and Lando was beyond Lando-y...Barnes could've done with dialing it back a bit. I want to still like the self-absorbed smuggler despite his quirks. I really hope this series doesn't leave me with a bad taste in my mouth toward our hero!
     We begin with Lando recording his "Calrissian Chronicles" in which he refers to himself in the third person. Kristiss asks, "Why do you refer to yourself as yourself?" And L3 says..."No one actually knows, but one theory is a man who wears a cape suffers from several self-image issues." Fantastic!
     Lando is so incredibly rude to Kristiss!! Being mean about really everything while being all self-absorbed and haughty, too. It's kind of gross... He even at one point says, "Your lack of chill is deplorable. Freak my vibe and coast while we glide." I'm not totally sure what he means by that, but dang he could do with some better manners! Eventually Kristiss bites back! You go, girl.
     When they land on Kullgroon, Lando is wearing a ridiculous, furry cape...we then, a few pages later, learn of its history. It is apparently the skin of a being named Naaruu who lost at Sabacc to Lando and didn't take his losing well... *shiver* I never expected Lando would be engaged in that kind of hostility!
     Well, Kristiss ends up captured by stormtroopers, L3 finds herself in an extermination line for droids (reminiscent of the cover actually), and Lando is attacked by Batalla and his warriors. Seems we've already hit some huge snags and this series is just warming up! I'm excited to see how these problems will resolve themselves and if/how Lando will succeed in his mission.
     I do hope the next issue is a little less self-aggrandizing on Lando's part...as I said before, it got a bit over the top and I found myself rubbed the wrong way by the smuggler several times. I love it when he's super Lando-y but it turns out there is a happy medium...

Comments

Popular Posts