The Force Awakens: Graphics

     The Force Awakens: Graphics was apparently originally published by Hachette Livre which I'm assuming is a French publishing house. In trying to look for the author, I found the version I have in front of me was translated by Edward Siddons. I didn't expect that. In my journey to read all canon media, I have come across several items that are only in foreign languages and so am glad this one was translated to English so I could check it out...but I was still unimpressed. According to Amazon.com the author is Lucasfilm Ltd.
     Anyway, on to the book itself. It is a super simplistic infographic-filled book with hardly any text at all. Visually it's a blast, but the information is not that exciting. And one of the infographics has colors that don't even show up.
     The worst part were several spots of misinformation which left me obviously frustrated.
-There were not 3 lightsaber battles in Force Awakens, only 2. 1 between Finn and Kylo and 1 between Finn/Rey and Kylo. Unless maybe they were parsing out the second one. But then in a later infographic, it says Kylo participated in only 2 lightsaber battles in Force Awakens so I don't know.
-R2-D2 was owned by Captain Antilles before he escaped the Tantive IV and ended up in the possession of Owen Lars. The book completely leaves this out.
-An infographic on Rey's journey says she "Masters the Force." She hardly masters it, she just picks it up quickly.
-Leia ends up on D'Qar after she and Han separate, not Takodana. I think this was just a misprint because the planet symbol is correct.
-Chopper is noted as a C-series protocol droid much like C-3PO. But he is actually a C1-series astromech droid.
     Infographics I enjoyed:
-"The Evolution of C-3PO" shows the droid from Phantom Menace to Force Awakens. Poor thing's gone through a lot of changes.
-"Kylo Ren's Rages" recounts all the times Kylo had a temper tantrum with quotes and a corresponding tantrum description. Haha!!
-A comparison of Tarkin and Hux. I always like when that old school baddie is brought back on the scene.
     So, with all the misinformation and the simplisticness of the infographics. I do not recommend this book. It's like someone printed it as quickly as possible without making sure it was correct, much less a worthy new entry into canon. Needless to say, I'm disappointed.


Comments

Popular Posts