The Empire Strikes Back Graphic Novel Adaptation by Alessandro Ferrari

The Empire Strikes Back Graphic Novel Adaptation written by Alessandro Ferrari, illustrated by Matteo Piana, Igor Chimisso, Davide Turotti, and Kawaii Creative Studio
     I didn't post yesterday because I was coming down off the Celebration high!! So much new, exciting information that I can't wait to see come to fruition!! This year is going to be a blast y'all! And the Emperor?!? is back?!?! I'm breathless just thinking about it...and keep crying over trailer reaction videos...anyway, on to the topic at hand...
     This graphic novel adaptation of Empire Strikes Back had some of the same issues as the Solo: A Star Wars Story Graphic Novel Adaptation. Not surprisingly, both had the same creative team. It was of course fun to read and relive such a great story, but so much was missing that I felt was important to the narrative! Similarly, the artwork was cute but didn't really stand out to me.
     Some parts that were skipped: 1) "I thought they smelled bad on the outside" and the entire scene of Han setting up camp for the night (I feel like this whole scene shows the lengths Han will go to to care for his friends), 2) Luke's daring cable maneuver where he sliced the bottom of the AT-AT with his lightsaber (this shows how much growth Luke has undergone since A New Hope), 3) Yoda being weird and goofy when Luke first meets him on Dagobah (this shows Yoda's reluctance to train Luke...something we know is a very real feeling for him since he believes Leia should be the one to be trained), and 4) the squishy ground and mynocks inside the Exogorth (I feel like this provides more world-building and explains the danger rather than just skipping ahead to "Chewie! Let's get out of here!").
     There were also many places that instead of using dialogue, used narrative in boxes to move the story forward. I guess that's certainly a way to save space...but it ends up feeling kind of cheap to me.
     As for the artwork, we get a brief cutie cartoon Emperor (see below) and a lovely and adorable image of Lando, Leia, and Chewie with 3PO on his back running through Cloud City (also see below)! One really great bit of imagery was the "I love you" "I know" scene! That one (also pictured below) was drawn out and actually got me in the feels a bit... But that's honestly about all I've got for anything that stood out to me *sigh*.
     If you want to zoom through the story in less than 30 minutes, get an overall refresher, and enjoy some generally super cute artwork, then check this out. But if you're expecting every detail to be included and all the most impactful moments to still feel impactful, this one isn't for you. Of course with a price on Amazon of less than $8, you really can't go wrong...
     To end, I just want to say that I've got some really great things to review down the line and am so very excited to be sharing my thoughts on those with you soon!!

Comments

Popular Posts