Poe Dameron comic #31: The Awakening, Part VI by Charles Soule

"Poe Dameron #31: The Awakening, Part VI" written by Charles Soule, illustrated by Angel Unzueta and Arif Prianto
     Wow...just wow! This was a bang up ending for a bang up series and I am so saddened that it's over. But this issue was simply phenomenal. Happy moments, scary moments, surprising moments, and realistic moments all rolled into one heck of a finale.
     We ended the last issue with Black Squadron attempting to rustle up aid from Ikkrukk...only to find the First Order's heavy cruiser Fortitude already bombarding Grail City. The planet's defense canons were inoperable because of sabotage from First Order sympathizers and only Jess Pava knew how to get them back on line. In the last panel, we saw Suralinda Javos and Jess injured and trying to get word out to the Resistance!
     And we begin...Damn! Leia really lays out plain for Poe her decision of whether or not to rescue Black Squadron and she's harsh! "I want them--but I have to decide if we need them." She goes on to say, "I'm an old woman who has to rally the galaxy against impossible odds. For the third time." I'm not exactly sure which three specific times she's referring to...I guess the Rebellion in general, the Resistance in general, and now having just a dozen or so people left to fight back. Either way, you know the decision weighs heavy on her and she doesn't have any easy choices to make.
     Then we are thrust into a short panel-by-panel exchange between Kare and Snap flying their X-wings against the TIEs and Suralinda and Jess fighting back on the ground followed by an extended back and forth of the same. And man is it a ride! One of my favorite panels is the one below...Suralinda can certainly look terrifying!
     I'm not going to go into any more of the story because I don't want to give away how everything plays out. I will say that Poe has grown and changed in all the best ways and has truly become a strong and wise leader. His dialogue in this issue is simply wonderful and shows a greater depth to his character. I look forward to his role in Episode IX with anticipation.
     A couple of interesting tidbits I do want to mention:  
-Colonel Barrut of the First Order is crazy...like Kylo Ren crazy with anger and hatred and intensity. She's quite fun to watch.
-A super unexpected character "shows up" and I was clapping my hands in delight.
     This issue had me smiling like a mad woman...so many wonderful bits. And the artistry is brilliant--fantastic details with vivid actualization. You have to check this one out--not only for the amazing story, but also for that selfish part of you that just HAS to know what happens post-Last Jedi! Can't wait to see how the ending of this series connects up to the next film. Now I'm going to go cry in a corner because this series I didn't know I wanted...but found that I needed has come to a conclusion...

Comments

Popular Posts