Doctor Aphra #39: A Rogue's End, Part III (Destination: Hoth) by Simon Spurrier

Doctor Aphra #39: A Rogue's End, Part III (Destination: Hoth) written by Simon Spurrier, illustrated by Caspar Wijngaard and Lee Loughridge
     Oh what an issue! We get major Tolphra action which is always a huge plus in my book!! And, well, I guess most of the issue is about their dynamic and the sneaky tricks that Aphra keeps pulling. Regardless, that is more than good enough for me!
     We left off issue #38 with Aphra and her father having to make a decision on which one should die. Luckily, the whole Imperial shuttle was taken captive by the Rebel ship dubbed the Unnamed and all occupants were knocked out but not killed. So both Aphras live to see another day! After all but Aphra have been dealt with, and no remaining life signs point the Rebels' way to the rogue, she reveals herself in the cannon systems of all places and blasts her way to a diversion during which she runs off and plays trick after trick to acquire the name of the new Rebel base.
     Six, the female alien with multiple arms who used to be on Aphra's crew says to Tolvan, "I forgot how sneaky she is. I can see why you like her." Haha! I love this.
     As I said, we get a great deal of interplay between Tolvan and Aphra, each digging in to the other on what makes them tick and what their negative attributes are. In one instance, Aphra says to Tolvan, "One master's the same as any other to you! Just as long as you've got someone telling you what to do so you never have to feel anything!" Oooh! Harsh! But I totally get where she's coming from. While Aphra may be extra dastardly, Tolvan always seemed like she needed orders to follow to feel complete.
     And then, after much bickering, the attraction takes over and the two kiss!! Followed by a bit of fun times that leads to both passing out. I was over the moon to see them together again, maybe there's hope for them after all!!
     But, well, you know me, I'm not going to tell you about the super crazy surprise twists in the last half of the issue. I will say though that 0-0-0 gets a moment to see Vader without his helmet on and says, "You know, seeing you like this, I can only assume some lucky individual had a great deal of enjoyment at your expe--" This is too freaking good! I love how blunt and honest Trip is. Vader, of course, will not have it and he Force squeezes the droid.
     Some of the really interesting communication between the two star-crossed lovers had to do with the electro tattoos covering Aphra's arm and Tolvan's chest. I'd forgotten that Tolvan had gotten very similar tattoos so the two could communicate when breaking Aphra out of Accresker Jail. Turns out they can read each other's minds through the tattoos...something very dangerous in regards to the fact only Captains and above know the location of the new Rebel base---Tolvan...is a Captain....
     Before I wrap up, I want to share an absolutely beautiful and okay, super sexy, panel of Tolvan as she's talking to Aphra from the shadows:
     So a wonderful issue that had real Tolphra potential but alas, Aphra will be Aphra and we don't quite get the love story I wanted in the end. But like I said, there's still time!!

Comments

Popular Posts