Doctor Aphra #40: A Rogue's End, Part IV (Destination: Hoth) by Simon Spurrier

Doctor Aphra #40: A Rogue's End, Part IV (Destination: Hoth) written by Simon Spurrier, illustrated by Caspar Wijngaard and Lee Loughridge
     Well, in the final chapter of the "Dr. Aphra" series...at least for now!!...we get a great deal of introspection from the woman as she contemplates her life, her choices, and what it all means to her. But the story doesn't drag one bit--there's constant action going on, interspersed with dialogue from 0-0-0, BT-1, Aphra, and Vader as the recording Aphra's making to send to Hoth (in which she's contemplating her existence) is overlaid. Aphra is such a brilliant character and this just deepens her complexity all the more! 
     We ended issue #39 with Aphra telling Vader to prepare for the cold in regards to the location of the Rebel base...in a blessed moment of wanting to do something good for a change, Aphra takes Vader to the Meridional Ice Cap of the planet Tython (see below), pretending that the Rebel Base is located there. There's an ancient Force temple to be found in these parts, dominated by The Martyrium of Frozen Tears and containing a confessional (see below) that is a powerful Force nexus and ability-inhibitor. Wanna hazard a guess as to where Aphra lures the Dark Lord?? That's all I'll give away here, except for to say, Aphra is a genius and her plan is wonderful and sweet as hell. I had big d'awww vibes as I realized her intentions.

     As this issue was basically a lifetime treatise of Aphra's dastardly deeds and the result of said deeds, there were quite a few moving, choice quotes:
     "Mind you...even if I do deserve exactly what I get...even if you can depend on me to cheat and betray and leave every damn thing on fire--including my own stupid heart--still, you can't deny it: nobody ever got anywhere trying to second guess Chelli Aphra." Leaving her "own stupid heart" on fire???? Ahhh!!! She loves Tolvan so much and can't even admit it to herself. Also, this quote is placed at the reveal of Tython as Hoth's stand in so the second guess part is on point.
     "Y'know, I spent most of my adult life kinda hot for discipline. The idea of it, I mean. Oh, not just the girls-in-uniform thing--although, sure, that. But mostly--a galaxy like this? The jackboot always felt safer than the jungle. I guess it's about time I admit I always made a little exception for myself. Like--the tyrannical forces of brutally imposed order sure are impressive...just as long as they're pointed at someone else."
First off, if you wondered about her sexuality before, this makes it pretty darn clear. *heart* And I'd never thought of her this way but it's so true--she seemed to always cling to order even though she was the most chaotic character of them all. 
     "Being a one-woman trail of destruction hasn't exactly brought me health and happiness, know what I mean?" I love this description! And poor thing, it really hasn't...
     "[Time is] the only gift an irredeemable disaster can give to anyone." Another great self-description and the big reveal of what her plan was all along. *tear*
     A wonderful issue with some beautiful character contemplation and insight on Aphra's part. We see Vulaada, Aphra's dad, and Tolvan all finding each other (see below) and a brief glimpse of the Rebels setting up the Hoth base. We get major destruction raining down on Vader and Aphra using him to enact her version of revenge, which in actuality is sweetness and love wrapped up in an odd package. I love this character and love her adventures and if the post-issue content is anything to go by, it looks like we may get more Aphra in the very near future!!
     Oh!!! We also have a fabulous Anakin contemplation panel where he's reliving his guilt, regret, and sorrow. Major feels. I can't wait to see what the new mainline comic has in store for this, my favorite character.

Comments

Popular Posts